N2O: A NATURAL Application Change Management System and 3GL Support for PANVALET, LIBRARIAN, ENDEVOR, and PDSs
Applications may consist of hundreds of objects, which may be changed by many programmers. Managing the development and maintenance of applications involves tasks such as:
- Controlling migrations into production environments
- Avoiding program overwrites
- Tracking the current location of a program
- Verifying that program changes are made
- Changing all related objects
- Archiving and recovery
- Maintaining complete audit trails
- Manual change management can be time-consuming and prone to error. Treehouse Software developed N2O to provide cost-effective automated change management for NATURAL objects, SYSERR messages, and PREDICT objects.
Applications often contain non-NATURAL components, such as COBOL or JCL. N2O/3GL, a separately-priced N2O feature, allows the batch migration of 3GL/Other objects stored in partitioned datasets, PANVALET libraries, LIBRARIAN master files, or ENDEVOR stages. Additionally, N2O/3GL provides Checkout/Checkin and audit trails for 3GL migrations, which allow the N2O Administrator to effectively manage the changes in 3GL environments.
N2O/3GL uses a site’s 3GL repositories for migrating 3GL objects and follows a site’s 3GL naming conventions. N2O with N2O/3GL migrates ASSEMBLER, COBOL, FORTRAN, PL/I, and RPG source code, as well as JCL and other data types.
N2O offers many features to automate change management tasks, including the following:
- On-line Request System to select objects for migration
- Batch or On-line migration of objects
- Checkout/Checkin to control and monitor changes to objects
- Cross-reference support to show all related objects affected by or invoked by specific objects
- Autocompile to ensure that all NATURAL programs and 3GL members are properly compiled after migration
- Archiving/Recovery to guard against the loss of objects
- Audit Trails and Reporting to provide information about program migrations, Checkout/Checkin, directory lists, archiving and recovery, status of projects being tracked, source comparisons, N2OSCAN processing and results, and user and approval profiles
- Static SQL Support for DB2 Project Tracking Feature to maintain information about organizational activities
- Documentation Toolbox to print NATURAL objects, file layouts, Descriptor X-Ref (cross-reference) information, object flow analysis, and Object X-Ref in local N2O environments
- Emergency Recovery to allow recovery from Archive when N2O is not available
- Compare Utilities to identify differences between two NATURAL programs
- N2OSCAN to process the source of NATURAL objects, scanning for strings over the object/library range specified by the user, and report on (or record for future lookup) all matches
- User-Exits to provide flexibility for tailoring N2O to site-specific needs, such as interfacing with e-mail
- Security and Authorization to control access to N2O functions and enforce migration authorization requirements (optionally through RACF, ACF2, or Top Secret, using SECURITRE.
- These and other capabilities enable N2O to meet a site’s needs.